Prep: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 2 hours Total Time: Approximately 2.5-3 hours
Makes a whole crap load of chowder. I use my giant soup pot.. It probably holds 2 gallons of soup.
- 4 Large potatoes cubed
- 4 small to medium thawed chicken breasts
- 3 Stalks of celery chopped
- 1 large white or yellow onion chopped
- 1 large Jalapeno diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 Can of whole kernel corn
- 1 cup of Velveeta cheese
- 1/2 cup of half and half
- 4 chicken bullion cubes
- 2 tbsp of butter
- Bacon bits for topping
- 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1. The first thing you do is make b0t's cheater chicken stock. I make this when I don't have an entire leftover chicken laying around. Fill your soup pot 1/2 way with water. Add the bullion and bring to a boil. Add the chicken breasts untrimmed and whole into the boiling water. Reduce the heat to medium and wait until the chicken is fully cooked. When the chicken is cooked, set it aside with a slotted spoon.
2. At the same time that the chicken is cooking you will melt the 2 tbsp of butter in a separate pot. Add the onion, celery, jalapeno and some salt and pepper. I added about a tsp of pepper and 6 shakes of salt. (very precise... I know.) Simmer at medium heat and cover the pot to keep the moisture inside. Cook until the onions are slightly translucent. Add the garlic during the last minute of cooking.
3. Add the cubed potatoes and the cooked celery, onion, jalapeno, and garlic to the chicken broth pot. Bring heat to a simmer, cover, and cook it for 45 minutes until the potatoes start falling apart.
4. While you are waiting for the potatoes to disintegrate, use two forks to shred the chicken into bite sized pieces.
7. Once the soup is the consistency of runny gravy reduce the heat to low and add the Velveeta in small 1" squares. Stir occasionally until they are all melted. Add the shredded cheddar and stir occasionally as well until it is all melted.
8. Now it's ready to serve!!!!! Top it with some green onions (optional), a bit more cheddar, and some bacon bits. I made some Parmesan biscuits on the side. ENJOY!!!!!